Saturday 27 May 2023

Gannet aeronautics off Dalkey Island


Took my first sea dip of the year with one of my New Best Friends in Dublin, Catherine Bunyan, around 'the Forty Foot' at Sandycove, as immortalised (along with the Martello Tower there) by Joyce in the first chapter of Ulysses. I say 'around' because the spot itself, though amazingly quiet, proved too savage for immersion at high tide; prior to donning the socks and gloves I've just received to make staying in cold water for longer possible, cold water swims are time-limited to a few minutes. Catherine was well attired - she's to be seen at a respecful distance here.

I chose to go round the promontory to the sandy cove opposite Dun Laoghaire, and that was good; it's coming up for a year since I first swam here on Bloomsday morning with Swedish friend Sophie and Latvians Artis and Kristaps. There's no record of my immersion this time, but Catherine snapped me betowelled and happy afterwards.

She had to get back to the centre of town after this, but I walked on round to Coliemore Harbour in Dalkey, where I saw more folk swimming and noted that this would be an excellent spot too.

This is possibly the first location going south from the city centre along Dublin bay where the views out are truly wild (North Bull Island is closer), though of course with signs of human occupation which only add to the picturesqueness.

There are colonies of terns and other rarer seabirds out there, as former nature warden Richard Nairn's Wild Shores tells me (annoyingly I've had to leave it in the Dublin flat as part of the Irish library so can't access it now). But I had a good view of a natural phenomenon: first one gannet, then two, performing a ritual repeated at least a dozen times. I'll start with the gannet in the water.

Then we have take-off,

a circling and a soaring between island and harbour, a dipping

then a soar to close above my head

another descent

and a plunge to get a fish


The second gannet did its dive at one end of the island (see top pic, and this detail).

So that was a happy afternoon. I look forward to many more when I return - this time with the gloves and socks.

Addendum (28/5) - cycling up and down the river in London is 'not too shabby', either, as the Irish like to say. It seems timely to add two shots from yesterday evening, heading back from Richmond Park after a glorious afternoon: five swans a-swimming


and then suddenly taking off, a beautiful sight.

7 comments:

Catherine Bunyan said...

What great photos of the gannets. Look forward to future swims in the 40ft and Colimore when you return. Water about 14 degrees at present .

David said...

And this time it will be every day, with my new (inherited) water gloves and socks...Can't wait! Apparently i can also swim in Oslo harbour at the weeked, so taking them with me there too.

Anonymous said...

JOHN Graham you must try sea swimming on Ireland's west coast, Mayo and County Donegal, where the Atlantic Ocean can be incredibly wild, making the experience all the more exhilarating and exhausting (in a pleasant, achy kind of way).

David said...

I don't swim in rough waters, though I have swum at Derreen on the Beara Peninsula - I may indulge in what's called 'wild swimming', but it only goes so far. Do/have you?

Anonymous said...

JOHN Graham yes, at Bundoran and Glencolumkille in Donegal though it was in the height of summer and not dangerously wild seas, but enough of an ocean swell to make it much more challenging than say North Berwick or Brighton. There were lifeguards at Bundoran

Anonymous said...

much depends on how you define wild swimming. In the original book of that title that caused great interest, swimming in Hampstead Ladies Pond was included, so wild swimming can include just about any cold water activity.john graham

David said...

It's just a tag, and it makes me laugh when so much is not exactly 'wild', but whatever gets people into cold (unpolluted) water is fine by me.