Wednesday 23 August 2023

From Tweet to X-crete to X-it

 

Well, dammit, I DID go, in the end. Cutting off nose to spite face? After all, there are so many lovely musical folk on there, and I found out about performances of whichI wouldn't otherwise have been aware. But the endless procession of hated faces being cursed - Letby, 30p Lee, Sunak, Braverman etc - was lowering to the spirit, and when along with endless gadget ads Marjorie Taylor Greene turned up in my feed, where the despised are usually only there because like-minded folk are shouting about them, it was time to go.

Nor are alternatives left. Mastodon proved hopeless, my guilty return to LinkedIn was terminated by another blocking - here's the post about the previous one - because my objection to brave Russians being arrested, imprisoned, tortured, even killed in Putlerland was classified as bullying. Would I recant? No. So I'm out of there for ever too. Do I regret it? No. Once the decision re Twitter was taken, pop-ins to pick up private messages showed how small and toxic a world it was, even if I didn't get the haters piling in. And when a supposed colleague lashed out at me over a criticism of an artist with 'who cares what you think?', I realised the headspace occupied thereby wasn't worth it. Much better to spend more time on this, reading, maybe even getting on with Prokofiev Vol. 2 when I return to health. And remember, Tweeters stuck in Muskville, there is a world elsewhere.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying Threads at the moment - maybe just who I follow there but it is kind and funny!

David said...

Thanks - I gather one needs to sign up to something like Snapchat. I'll have a look.

Penny Ewles-Bergeron said...

Musk has made Twitter hard work. In the good old days (I think there were some) the community I'd become part of appeared as if by magic in my feed. Now I have to go searching for the good people to see how they are doing and what they are tweeting. Nonetheless I'll stay a while, even if the experience is diminished. No other platform appeals, TBH, after more than a decade on Twitter. The only glimmer is Blue Sky, but so far I haven't blagged an invitation, mostly through laziness. I do understand why so many are leaving, but I'm not quite there yet. :-)

David said...

Maybe Threads? I'll try anon. I did feel shame at staying on under the Musk aegis. And the symbol replacing the friendly blue bird says it all. Disgusting.

Peter said...

I have every sympathy; even "retweet" has gone, it's now "repost". Threads is far less toxic, and you register via Instagram. I'd like an invitation to Blue Sky...... All good wishes

David said...

What's Blue Sky?

Peter said...

Coincidentally, this morning I got an invitation to join Blue Sky.

It's quite new, like Threads, so will take a while get going..... https://bsky.app/

Will report back later.

David said...

Good. Here's hoping. Mastodon was hopeless, however well-intentioned.

Peter said...

I didn't get on with Mastodon. BlueSky seems pleasant enough though I've yet to discover anyone I know or know of......

David said...

That's the problem - communities take a long time to build up. I'm sorry the musical one has gone, but if everyone made a concerted effort to turn their backs on an outrageous setup there could have been a reassemblage. I reaally don't miss it, though, and get so much else fone in the same time.